Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)
The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) is a federal nutrition education program conducted through the Ohio Department of Health. WIC provides supplemental foods which promote good health for pregnant, breastfeeding and post-partum women, infants and children up to age five.
Our mission is to assure healthy pregnancies, healthy birth outcomes, and healthy growth and development in our participants We provide referrals to healthcare and critical social services..
Who is eligible?
- Pregnant women
- Post-Partum women, up to 6 months post-partum
- Breastfeeding women
- Infants and children up to 5 years old
- Income eligible
- In nutritional need
- Living in Ohio
What are the benefits of enrollment?
- Supplemental nutritious foods
- Nutrition counseling for yourself and child
- Referrals for yourself and your family to other health care programs such as prenatal and child health care.
- Breastfeeding support
What type of food does WIC supply?
- Pregnant, breastfeeding, postpartum women, and children over 1 year can get milk, eggs, whole grains, fruits and vegetables, and more. Infants can get supplemental formula and/or baby food and infant cereal.
WIC does not provide all the food you will need. WIC is just a supplemental program.
What happens at a WIC appointment?
- Proof of income, proof of address, proof of identify for you and children, children's shot records and proof of pregnancy papers showing due date are checked
- Measurements of height, weight, and blood iron are checked.
- A Nutrition Educator tells you if you or your child are eligible- she talks to you about how to plan a healthy diet, how to save money when you shop, and how to cook with WIC foods.
Lorain County Public Health (Click here for Google Map)
9880 South Murray Ridge Road
Elyria, Ohio 44035
Lorain Clinic Location (Click here for Google Map)
Located in the offices of the Lorain County Health and Dentistry
Lorain, Ohio 44052