Our WIC program has distributed all our Farm Market vouchers for the 2020 season. However, our farm market and farm stand partners continue to have produce available for purchase. Click HERE for a video on tips and tricks for visiting and shopping at local farm markets.
Download our meal kit recipes here to enjoy year round:
The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) is a federal nutrition education program conducted through the Ohio Department of Health. WIC provides supplemental foods which promote good health for pregnant, breastfeeding and post-partum women, infants and children up to age five.
Our mission is to assure healthy pregnancies, healthy birth outcomes, and healthy growth and development in our participants. We provide referrals to healthcare and critical social services.
Who is eligible?
- Pregnant women
- Post-partum women, up to 6 months post-partum
- Breastfeeding women
- Infants and children up to 5 years old
- Income eligible
- In nutritional need
- Living in Ohio
What are the benefits of enrollment?
- Supplemental nutritious foods
- Nutrition counseling for yourself and child
- Referrals for yourself and your family to other health care programs such as prenatal and child health care
- Breastfeeding support
What type of food does WIC supply?
- Pregnant, breastfeeding, postpartum women, and children over 1 year can get milk, eggs, whole grains, fruits and vegetables, and more. Infants can get supplemental formula and/or baby food and infant cereal.
WIC does not provide all the food you will need. WIC is just a supplemental program.
What happens at a WIC appointment?
- Proof of income, proof of address, proof of identity for yourself and children, children's shot records and proof of pregnancy papers showing due date are checked.
- Measurements of height, weight, and blood iron are obtained.
- A Nutrition Educator explains why you and/or your child are eligible- she talks to you about how to plan a healthy diet, how to save money when you shop, and how to cook with WIC foods.
Lorain County Public Health (Click here for Google Map)
9880 South Murray Ridge Road
Elyria, Ohio 44035
Lorain Clinic Location (Click here for Google Map)
Located in the offices of the Lorain County Health and Dentistry
Lorain, Ohio 44052
New to the program or re-certifying?
The WIC program has recently eliminated any forms completed by the participants. WIC staff will now ask application and health history questions during your appointment with us.
These instructional videos explain how the WIC program works, including using your WIC nutrition card at WIC approved stores. You can also download the WICShopper app for quick access to a list of WIC authorized foods and store locations.