is “to create a healthy place for all to live, work, and play by preventing disease in the community, empowering people to make better choices, and promoting overall health and wellness.”
is “to create programs and services that allow and encourage the healthy choice to be the easy choice, operate in a sustainable fashion that reflects responsible stewardship, lead by example in the community, and manage our organization to effectively face current and future public health challenges.”
This document provides a comprehensive strategic plan for the Lorain County General Health District (LCGHD)
The Lorain County General Health District is responsible for preventing disease and promoting health in the following Lorain County areas: Amherst City, Amherst Township, Avon City, Avon Lake City, Brighton Township, Brownhelm Township, Camden Township, Carlisle Township, Columbia Township, Eaton Township, Elyria City, Elyria Township, Grafton Township, Grafton Village, Henrietta Township, Huntington Township, Kipton Village, Lagrange Township, Lagrange Village, Lorain City, New Russia Township, North Ridgeville City, Oberlin City, Penfield Township, Pittsfield Township, Rochester Township, Rochester Village, Sheffield Lake City, Sheffield Township, Sheffield Village, South Amherst Township, South Amherst Village, Wellington Township, and Wellington Village.
The Lorain County General Health District has 6 basic responsibilities:
- Inspection - Health Department sanitarians may enter and inspect food service operations and other public institutions as part of the licensing requirements.
- Licensing - The Department is responsible for issuing licenses for restaurants, vending machines, solid waste disposal sites, campgrounds, marinas, private water systems, manufactured home parks, public pools, spas and beaches.
- Immunizations, Tests, and Treatments - The Department administers immunizations, tests, and treatments to fight against communicable disease.
- Regulatory - The Department must enforce all State of Ohio and local health regulations.
- Reporting - The Department reports the existence of contagious and infectious disease to the State Department of Health.
- Vital Statistics - The Department maintains a record of births and deaths which occur in its district.
Click here to view the latest Annual Report, complete with an overview of various initiatives and services provided by the Lorain County General Health District.