Active Communities: walking and biking
Lorain County Public Health (LCPH) works with partners to make it safer and easier for people to be physically active. Active transportation - or human-powered travel, like walking and biking – is how people choose to travel or must travel, which helps people meet daily physical activity recommendations.
- Maintain safe conditions and sidewalks
- Support people ages 8 to 80
- Provide networks of walking and biking trails
- Provide access to green spaces like parks and playgrounds
- Provide access to school, jobs, shopping, healthy foods, and recreational opportunities
LCPH and community partners work together to improve communities so that residents can choose to walk, bike, and roll where they need to go. Check out our Safe Routes to School and Healthy People, Healthy Places Grant pages to learn more about how LCPH helps the environment to make the healthy choice the easy choice.
In North Ridgeville
- Fitness equipment at South Central Park
- Walking routes map installed at Black River Landing
- Bike share at the Lorain Public Library
- Bike racks installed at Lakeview Park
- Bike maintenance station installed in various parks
- Improved entrances and crossings at Cascade Park
- Bike repair station & bike racks at Cascade Park, West River Branch Library, and Lorain County Community College
- Mid-block crosswalk on Pleasant Street, connecting Park Street Park to City Hall, Oberlin Public Library, and downtown area
- Covered bike rack to support the bicycle check out system at Oberlin Community Services
- Free opportunity to walk indoors at Splash Zone every Monday from 5:30 p.m. to 6:15 p.m., open to people of all ages and abilities
- Lorain County bike maps given out to highlight safe routes for travel or leisure
- Bike lights and safety education given at community events
- Storybook stroll around the LaGrange Community Park that encourages guests to read and walk
- Walking path at the school administration building
- Bike friendly business model
Have an idea on how to improve your community?
Contact us at healthed@LorainCountyHealth.com.