Lorain County Public Health's Mission is “To create a healthy place for all to live, work, and play by preventing disease in the community, empowering people to make better choices, and promoting overall health and wellness.”
“To create programs and services that allow and encourage the healthy choice to be the easy choice, operate in a sustainable fashion that reflects responsible stewardship, lead by example in the community, and manage our organization to effectively face current and future public health challenges.”
Who We Serve
Lorain County Public Health is responsible to prevent disease and promote health for all communities in Lorain County, except for the City of Vermilion, which falls under the jursidiction of the Erie County Health Department.
What We Do
Lorain County Public Health provides services to Lorain County residents following the 10 Essential Public Health Services.
- Monitor health status to identify and solve community health problems.
- Diagnose and investigate health problems and health hazards in the community.
- Inform, educate, and empower people about health issues.
- Mobilize community partnerships and action to identify and solve health problems.
- Develop policies and plans that support individual and community health efforts.
- Enforce laws and regulations that protect health and ensure safety.
- Link people to needed personal health services and assure the provision of health care when otherwise unavailable.
- Assure a competent workforce of public and personal health care professionals.
- Evaluate effectiveness, accessibility, and quality of personal and population-based health services.
- Research for new insights and innovative solutions to health problems.
Essential Public Health Services, CDC
History of Public Health in Lorain County, Ohio
Move through this timeline of public health to learn how the history of communicable diseases shaped public health both in the U.S. and in Lorain County, Ohio. You can also view a record of Lorain County health commissioners who have lead the health district since it was established in 1920.