is “to create a healthy place for all to live, work, and play by preventing disease in the community, empowering people to make better choices, and promoting overall health and wellness.”
is “to create programs and services that allow and encourage the healthy choice to be the easy choice, operate in a sustainable fashion that reflects responsible stewardship, lead by example in the community, and manage our organization to effectively face current and future public health challenges.”
Who we serve
The Lorain County General Health District is responsible for preventing disease and promoting health in the following Lorain County areas: Amherst City, Amherst Township, Avon City, Avon Lake City, Brighton Township, Brownhelm Township, Camden Township, Carlisle Township, Columbia Township, Eaton Township, Elyria City, Elyria Township, Grafton Township, Grafton Village, Henrietta Township, Huntington Township, Kipton Village, Lagrange Township, Lagrange Village, Lorain City, New Russia Township, North Ridgeville City, Oberlin City, Penfield Township, Pittsfield Township, Rochester Township, Rochester Village, Sheffield Lake City, Sheffield Township, Sheffield Village, South Amherst Village, Wellington Township, and Wellington Village.
What we do
The Lorain County General Health District has 6 basic responsibilities:
- Inspection - inspect food service operations and other public institutions as part of the licensing requirements.
- Licensing - issue licenses for restaurants, vending machines, solid waste disposal sites, campgrounds, marinas, private water systems, manufactured home parks, public pools, spas, and beaches.
- Immunizations, Tests, and Treatments - Administers immunizations, tests, and treatments to fight against communicable disease.
- Regulatory - enforce all State of Ohio and local health regulations.
- Reporting - report the existence of contagious and infectious disease to the State Department of Health.
- Vital Statistics - maintain a record of births and deaths which occur in the district.
LCGHD Strategic Plan 2013 - 2018
Lorain County Community Health Assessment 2015
Lorain County Community Health Improvement Plan