Death certificates are available for people who died in Lorain County. We cannot issue death certificates for people who died in another Ohio county. Certified copies of death certificates cost $25 each. Uncertified copies are not available. We also provide birth certificates.
For the first five years after the date of death*, the social security number of the deceased will not be included on the death certificate unless the person requesting is
- The deceased’s spouse or lineal descendent, such as a child or grandchild
- The deceased’s executor, attorney, or legal agent
- A representative of an investigative government agency
- A private investigator
- A funeral director or agent responsible for disposition of the body acting on behalf of the deceased’s family
- A veteran’s service officer
- An accredited member of the media
*Effective October 15, 2015.
Get a death certificate - 3 ways to choose.
In person at Lorain County Public Health
- Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- LCPH accepts cash, check, money order, Discover, MasterCard, and Visa.
Through the U.S. mail
- Fill out this form.
- Mail completed form, check or money order, and self-addressed stamped envelope to:
Lorain County Public Health
9880 S. Murray Ridge Rd.
Elyria, OH 44035
Through VitalCheck - online or over the phone 1-888-290-0228
- VitalCheck charges an additional fee. All major credit cards are accepted.