Prevent falls this winter
Posted on: December 18, 2017
When the weather outside is frightful, icy and wet conditions cause people to slip and fall. Falls are actually the leading cause of injury-related hospital visits.
Now that wintry weather is showing up, plan ahead to prevent slips and falls this holiday season. Follow these tips, and pass them on to older friends and neighbors:
- Keep rock salt, sand, and a shovel near entrances to your home.
- Carry a small bag of sand or rock salt in your coat pocket for when you are away from home.
- Be sure your winter boots fit well and wear them often. Boots give better traction than tennis or dress shoes.
- Check that rubber tips on canes and walkers are in good condition.
The frantic shopping scene can also cause slips and falls. Unless you plan on doing all of your shopping online, try out these tips:
- Shop during less busy times to avoid the crowds and wait time.
- Report any tripping hazards you see to store staff. If you fall in a store, report it to staff immediately – even if you aren’t hurt, they can take steps to keep someone else from falling.
- Ask for help carrying big or awkward packages to your car.
Finally, keep active throughout the year. Strength and flexibility are two ways to improve balance, which can reduce the risk of falls. Spend as little as 15 minutes a day exercising. Join us to walk safely indoors with Fit Walks: