Lead poisoning can cause hyperactivity, slowed growth, learning problems, hearing problems, and more - especially in children. Lead is a metal found naturally in the environment, but some older buildings have dangerously high levels of lead inside them.
People can get lead in their blood by breathing in lead dust or by accidentally eating it. Homes built before 1978 are at risk to have lead paint in them, which can put people living or visiting there at risk for lead poisoning. Also, lead dust can be found in the dirt around older homes, which can get into the mouths of young children from their fingers and toys when playing. The way to know if a child has lead poisoning is through a lead test.
Get your child screened for lead poisoning with Lorain County Public Health.
A public health nurse will screen your child for lead with a finger prick, and send the sample to a lab for results. If your child has high levels of lead, we’ll arrange for a second test. Then, we will help you clean up any lead in your home and connect you with resources. Click here for more information.