Farm Markets and Fresh Foods
Posted on: July 11, 2017
This summer, find affordable, local fresh fruits and vegetables at farm markets across the county. Not sure where to find a farm market? Go to LiveHealthyLorainCounty.com/Local
to find a list of farm markets on an interactive map.
Tips for choosing the perfect produce:
- Pick greens - like lettuce and spinach - that have fresh, crisp leaves. Don’t take home the slimy and wilted greens.
- Choose tomatoes or peaches that are not too hard or too mushy.
- Rinse all fruits and vegetables under running water before eating them.
- Set a goal to eat at least three servings of fruits and vegetables per day. A serving is the size of your fist or 1 cup.
- Add some zip to plain vegetables with a healthy dip – check out the recipes below.
Recipes - mix together these ingredients:
- Blue cheese dip: ¼ cup reduced-fat blue cheese crumbles, ¼ cup fat-free sour cream and 2 Tbsp light mayonnaise
- Honey mustard dip: ¼ cup honey, 2 Tbsp brown mustard, 2 Tbsp fat-free evaporated milk, 1 tsp dried parsley (or 1 Tbsp fresh parsley), 1 tsp dried chives (or 1 Tbsp fresh chives)
- Tuscan white bean dip: 1 Tbsp olive oil, 3 cloves of garlic chopped, 2 Tbsp chopped onion, 1 cup cannellini beans (low-sodium, rinsed, and mashed), ¼ cup low-sodium chicken broth, 1 tsp dried parsley (or 1 Tbsp fresh parsley), ¼ tsp dried oregano (or 1 tsp oregano)
Recipes from the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute