Buckle Up Bowl registration
Attention Lorain County high schools: Sign up to compete against other Lorain County high schools to have the highest seat belt rate in the 2020 Buckle Up Bowl.
What is the Buckle Up Bowl?
The Buckle Up Bowl is a seat belt competition among Lorain County high schools to generate peer engagement and social change around seat belts and focused driving in Lorain County.
All participating high schools will…
- Receive a customized paper material for your school district with a buckle up message - created and printed - as a thank you from the Lorain County Safe Communities Coalition!
- Examples of past free paper materials: Prom tickets, graduation commencement programs, report card inserts, basketball game tickets, etc.
- Compete for bragging rights and a CASH PRIZE for classroom enhancements - awarded to the high school with the best overall seat belt usage - generously donated by the Dominic Zunis Memorial Foundation. Big thank you the Zunis family and the Foundation! Check them out at www.domzunisfoundation.org.
How does the Buckle Up Bowl work?
Coalition members will conduct two unannounced seat belt surveys at all participating high schools: pre- and post-intervention. The post seat belt survey results will determine the winners.
What is the intervention you ask? That's up the high school and students!
All interventions are student led - we'll supply the materials and you supply the content! Examples include: social media messaging, crashed car on campus, announcements, events, contests, and giveaways!
February 21: Registration due
March 30-April 3: unannounced visual seat belt surveys
April 6-May 1: intervention period (You will receive 2 Google Forms to complete/upload photos and share what you have done).
May 4-8: unannounced visual seat belt surveys
Week of May 11: Winners announcement
Week of May 18 (TENTATIVE): Buckle Up Bowl student showcase
In 2018, 33% of fatal crashes in Lorain County involved a driver under age 24. Five of those young people who died were not wearing a seat belt.
Winning high schools in the following categories will receive an award plaque and bragging rights in Lorain County for:
- Most creative campaign
- Most improved seat belt usage
- Best overall seat belt usage*
*A CASH PRIZE for classroom enhancements will be awarded to the high school with the best overall seat belt usage - generously donated by the Dominic Zunis Memorial Foundation. Big thank you the Zunis family and the Foundation! Check them out at www.domzunisfoundation.org
Contact Kat Solove at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions about the contest.
The Buckle Up Bowl is coordinated by the Safe Communities Coalition conducted through Lorain County Public Health. "Saved by the Belt" image from Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.