COVID-19 WIC Updates
Due to COVID-19, the way we deliver WIC services has changed due to as of October 23, 2020. We want to keep everyone safe and healthy, while maintaining social distancing. Your WIC benefits will not be affected. Please continue to go to the WIC site that you usually go to, but check out the changes below.
Lorain WIC Site (1205 Broadway Ave, Lorain):
- At this time healthy clients who do not have symptoms of COVID-19 and have no known exposures are able to enter the building after being screened in the entryway. Face coverings are required.
- Full certification and recertification appointments will be completed over the phone - height and weight estimates taken verbally.
- You do still need to load foods onto your card in our clinic. The building is open, please come on in.
Elyria WIC Site (9880 Murray Ridge Rd, Elyria):
- Appointments will be completed over the phone - height and weight estimates taken verbally.
- At this time healthy clients who do not have symptoms of COVID-19 and have no known exposures are able to enter the building. Face coverings are required.
- Curbside WIC Nutrition Card loading is offered Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2 - 4 p.m.
- Curbside Card loading will take place in the Lorain County Public Health parking lot.
- Cars should line up outside the main doors of the building by the blue WIC yard sign.
- Please stay in your car, WIC staff will approach and assist you. You must have your WIC card and know your pin number.
- If you prefer virtual support, breastfeeding peers are offering virtual infant feeding classes on Zoom.
- If you prefer in-person support, breastfeeding peers are also offering infant feeding classes once per month at our clinic sites. In-person classes will follow guidelines to reduce spread of COVID-19:
- Class will provide space to ensure social distancing standards
- Face coverings are encouraged
- Pregnant mothers are encouraged to come alone, when possible
- If you need to bring a family member, let breastfeeding peers know as early as possible so space can be made
- If you need a breast pump, talk to your breastfeeding peer.
- The Ohio Department of Health has started a 24 hour a day breastfeeding hotline to help support you in your breastfeeding journey. Call 1-888-588-3423.
Food Package Notes:
- For a limited time participants that were issued low-fat milk (skim or 1%) are now able to purchase 2% milk during the COVID-19 emergency.
- Participants who are issued whole milk are not eligible to purchase 2% milk.
- You do not need to return to the clinic to have your WNC card changed.
- Work with the store to determine which brands are WIC eligible.
- If you have issues locating items on your WNC card, including formula, please let our WIC clinic know. We can help you.
- Stores are working increased hours to restock shelves and make sure foods are available for you.
If you have any questions, call us at 440-322-6367.