Travel Health & Vaccines
Traveling is a great way to learn more about our world and its people, but some parts of the world have diseases that aren't here in the U.S. When traveling abroad, protect your health with any needed vaccines and prescribed medicines. Learn safety tips to prevent sickness due to insect bites, food and water issues, high altitude and other risks.
Schedule a travel health appointment at least 6 weeks before your trip:
- Call 440-284-3206 to have a travel history form mailed to you, or stop in. Or, click to download the Travel History Form.
- Fill out and print the form.
- Mail or drop off: Lorain County Public Health, 9880 S. Murray Ridge Rd., Elyria, OH 44035, OR fax: 440-322-0911
- A nurse will call to review your travel plans and health history with you.
- The nurse will schedule your travel health appointment.
During the travel health appointment, you and a nurse will discuss:
- Length of your trip (date you leave and return).
- Countries you will visit and time spent in each.
- Cities and regions you will visit in each country (health risks can vary within countries).
- Types of places you will stay (e.g. hotels, private homes).
- Where you will eat your meals and get water to drink.
- Types of activities during your trip (e.g. sightseeing, hiking, healthcare mission).
- Your medical history (e.g. medicines, allergies, chronic conditions).
- Vaccines already received - bring your vaccine record to your appointment.
Available travel vaccines include:
- Chickenpox (varicella)
- Hepatitis A
- Hepatitis B
- Japanese encephalitis
- MMR (measles, mumps, rubella)
- Yellow fever
Lorain County Public Health accepts many different insurance plans. However, coverage for travel vaccines depends on your plan. You will be asked to pay for all travel vaccines on the day you receive them. Your nurse can give you a receipt for any insurance reimbursement. Cash, check, VISA and MasterCard are accepted for payment. Bring all of your insurance cards with you to your appointment, as well as your vaccine record if available and a photo ID.
For more information, call 440-284-3206.
Request a record of past vaccines here - no cost.