Take action to prevent the flu – get your flu shot this November
Anyone can catch the flu. The flu strikes without warning and symptoms can be severe and life-threatening. To protect both you and your loved ones Lorain County Public Health (LCPH) will provide the flu vaccine this fall and throughout the flu season.
“The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends a flu vaccine as the first and best way to protect yourself and your family,” explains LCPH Health Commissioner, David Covell, MPH, RS. “They also recommend that all persons 6 months of age and older receive a flu vaccine.”
LCPH announced flu shot clinic dates and locations for the 2019-2020 flu season, listed below.
- Lorain: Monday, Nov. 4, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
United Way of Greater Lorain County, 642 Broadway Ave.
- Avon Lake: Tuesday, Nov. 5, 1:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Old Firehouse Community Center, 100 Avon Belden Road
- Wellington: Thursday, Nov. 7, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. and 2 p.m. – 5 p.m.
Lorain County Fairgrounds, 23000 Fairgrounds Road
- Amherst: Friday, Nov. 8, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Old Stone Evangelical Church, 553 S. Main St.
- New Russia: Saturday, Nov. 9, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
The Lodge of New Russia Township, 46300 Butternut Ridge Road
- North Ridgeville: Tuesday, Nov. 12, 1 p.m. – 3 p.m.
North Ridgeville Senior Center, 7327 Avon Belden Road
- Columbia Station: Wednesday, Nov. 13, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Columbia Township Fire Department, 25540 Royalton Road
- Avon: Thursday, Nov. 14, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Avon Senior Center, 36786 Detroit Road
- Elyria: Thursday, Nov. 14, 3 p.m. – 5 p.m.
St. Andrews Episcopal Church, 300 Third St.
- Lorain: Tuesday, Nov. 19, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Lorain Community Senior Center, 3361 Garfield Blvd.
- LaGrange: Tuesday, Nov. 19, 3 p.m. – 5 p.m.
LaGrange United Methodist Church, 105 W. Main St.
No appointment is necessary for community flu shot clinics. If times and locations are not convenient, call 440-284-3206 for an appointment. Or, beginning on Nov. 1, just walk in at Lorain County Public Health, 9880 S. Murray Ridge Road, Elyria on weekdays between 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
Come to flu shot clinics prepared using these steps at home:
- Fill out your flu registration form online at LorainCountyHealth.com/Flu
- Print the completed form and bring it with you
LCPH encourages everyone to get a flu shot in November to offer them the best protection through the peak flu season in Northeast Ohio. “Flu cases and severity of flu are highest between January and March here in Northeast Ohio,” said Covell.
LCPH will offer three preservative-free flu vaccine options this year...
- Flu shot for ages 6 months through 64 years
- High-dose flu shot for adults 65 years and older
- Nasal flumist for ages 2 years through 49 years
No appointment is necessary. Bring a photo ID and your insurance card to the clinic. LCPH accepts most private insurances, Medicare Part B, and Medicaid. No one will be turned away for inability to pay.
For more information on how we make your health & safety our priorities, contact Lorain County Public Health at 440-322-6367. Follow your local health department on Twitter @LorainCoHealth, Facebook, or YouTube.